Wow the past 29 years have been both challenging and amazing. Of course some of those years were tough. From losing my older sister, moving to a new country and leaving all my childhood friends behind. I have moved over eleven times (within the same country but still…).
There have been great things. Coming of age and moving with my sister into our first apartment at 18. Moving across the country spontaneously to a new city. Making lifelong friends in college. Buying my first car at 24, moving into my first big girl apartment by myself and so much more.
Life moves so fast and this is why it’s so important to never waste your time (or allow anybody else to waste it).
It’s always good to remember that growth is an ongoing thing. Invest in yourself and your future and only allow positive & supportive people around you. Go after the life that you really want to live and keep learning from the world around you. I still am.
29 Life Lessons I Learned By 29
1. Keep investing in yourself. Go start that business, blog etc. that you always wanted. You will never regret investing in yourself. EVER.
2.People will let you down and that includes friends and family. It’s just a part of life do not dwell too long on it.
3. Speak up if you have something to say and ALWAYS ask for what you want. If you do not ask you will never receive.
4. Staying in and watching a movie is perfectly alright. Enjoy it.
5. Travel alone to far away places. It’s amazing and will open up your eyes to the world and all the possibilities.
6. Listening to Bon Iver, Sade, Norah Jones or Jhene Aiko on a rainy day cozied up on the sofa is the definition of a day well spent.
7. Read more books both fiction and non fiction. Get lost inside a really good book and feed your mind & imagination.
8. Sometimes saying no to people means saying yes to yourself. No need to explain your reasons for saying ‘no’.
9. Just because you treat people a certain way it doesn’t mean they will treat you the same way you treat them.
10. It’s okay to put yourself first.
11. When it comes to friends quality is way better than quantity. Your circle of friends will get smaller as the years go by and that is perfectly okay.
12. You will go further in a shorter amount of time by learning from the people who are already where you want to be.
13. Your thoughts become things. What you think about will show up in your life. I can not say this enough.
14. Getting a cup of coffee and watching the world go by from a sunny patio is a great way to spend a summer afternoon.
15. You don’t have to follow the same path everybody is traveling in life. Create your own trail and take your own journey.
16. When it comes to buying clothes focus on key pieces and spend a little more for the quality.
17. Nobody is here to save you. If you want to change your life only you can make that happen.
18. It’s okay to quit a job you hate and one that stresses you out.
19. You can create the life that you really want through your everyday thoughts, habits and actions.
18. Always go where you are wanted not where you are tolerated.
19. A plane ticket is always a good idea.
20. Always do a patch test when it comes to trying new skincare products. There’s a reason the instructions tell you to.
21. Going out every weekend is so overrated. You are not missing out on much.
22. Work towards a life you’ve designed not one that you’ve accepted by default.
23. Distance yourself from people who have negative energy and only bring out the worst in you.
24. If you want more time in your day just wake up earlier. There’s really no way around this.
25. Save your money and do not be tempted to go into your savings account. You will be glad you did.
26. Never compare your reality to someone else’s highlight reel. What you see on social media is not the real truth but only the things people want you to see.
27. That business, blog, book? Start it. The time is now and you should leave no room for regret.
28. No you do not need to have every single thing figured out by 30.
29. Be your own best friend and enjoy the heck out of your own company. Love yourself first then you will learn how to love another.
There you go! 29 life lessons that I learned by 29. Every year that passes I am thankful for what I have and as long as growth is my focus I know I can do whatever I set my mind to! My hope is that you make the most of each and every year.
What was your favorite point from the list? Feel free to share.